Nathan R. B. Loewen
Please contact me by email or telephone to arrange an appointment.
- (205) 348-3467
REL 231.001 Religious Existentialism
Challenges common understandings of “meaning” and “self” by surveying classics in this European intellectual movement and then turning to ancient and modern South & East Asian texts to complicate and problematize a variety of traditional existential problems and concepts.
In this course, we will:
- Create a safe space for learning and sharing ideas.
- Familiarize ourselves with the existentialist approach to philosophy.
- Closely read the texts in the existentialist genre of philosophy.
- Formulate the key questions that may be used for existentialist inquiries.
- Closely read contemporary texts from an existentialist perspective.
- Apply existentialist questions to current issues in the study of religion.
T, R | 11:00-12:15
Blackboard Other texts will be available through the Blackboard course site.