REL’s New Undergraduate Director

Prof. Ted Trost will be taking over as the Department’s Undergraduate Director, (so students, be sure to schedule your next advising session with him!). In case you were wondering what the role of Undergraduate Director entails, Dr. Trost has taken the time to answer a few questions about his position.

What exactly does an “Undergraduate Director” do?

The undergraduate director works with the chair and the faculty to determine what courses will be offered each semester.  My primary responsibility is to assist each student in determining the course of her or his study—mainly in the Religious Studies but also with an eye toward meeting all University requirements in order to graduate in a timely and convenient fashion.  Toward that I end, I meet with each Religious Studies major every semester to plot out an itinerary through the wilderness of academic options and to clear students for registration.  I also keep apprised of developments in the Registrar’s office and initiatives throughout the University that affect course offerings and advising protocols.

What sorts of questions or problems can you help students with?

I advise students about the courses we offer from semester to semester and help them decide what shape to give their Religious Studies major.  I am familiar with the specialties of all the faculty members and, therefore, can recommend particular courses to take and independent study options to pursue.

What’s the best way for students to contact you?

Students should reach me by email:  ttrost@ua.edu.